Thursday, September 1, 2011

Trying to save a buck...











Lately I've been interested in making homemade's... you know, homemade dishwashing detergent, homemade laundry detergent, homemade baby wipes..
Not impressed with the dishwashing detergent. I used it a couple of times without bad results.. the last time I used it there was a white film left on all the dishes. it took 3 full washes to get it off using "store bought" stuff... I'm still using the homemade laundry detergent and so far am not disappointed in it.. I've been using white vinegar as my fabric softener and while some things aren't as soft as with Downy they're not too bad.. so, I say that's a win.. My latest attempt is baby wipes.. I know, I know, I should use cloth wash clothes.. but .. I'm hooked... addicted... to wipes.. I have them in all bedrooms, the Livingroom and all bathrooms.. see.. I told you.. Addicted... so, why not try to make my own, right?
I'll tell you why.. it's messy.. annoying.. frustrating.. and .. did I say messy?
As in paper bits flying all over.. which is NOT good if you have allergies and the bits go up your nose.. That being said.. here is what I did

1. One roll of "select a size" Bounty paper towels
2. One empty wipes container
3. baby oil
4. baby shampoo
5. 2 cups water that was boiled and cooled

Using a serated knife cut the roll of paper towels in half. (Messy.. annoying.. messy!) I folded the paper towels in a back and forth motion until I had the amount I wanted... you may tear them apart, leave them as is in the roll shape,remove the cardboard tube and use a container that you can sit this down in and pull from center when using. I chose to fold them because of the container I was using.

Boil 2 cups of water and cool completely. To this add 2 Tbls baby shampoo and 2 Tsp baby oil. Mix well. Pour over paper towels, flip the paper towels and pour the rest of the mixture over that side. I only use half of the mixture in the container because the whole amount was way too much. I had an extra container so I made 2. I still need to cover these containers with cute paper.. but that's another project... for another day...

So far, I've liked the way these have worked.. everything smells baby fresh and they've worked extremely well. I have heard you should refrigerate these containers because the stuff molds.. or gets a musty smell. on other sites I have heard nothing but glowing reports leaving it out.. I'm opting for leaving it out. I can not imagine going to the refrigerator every time I need a wipe.. that would defeat the convience part... haha.. I'll post a review of these jewels in 2 weeks to let everyone know if I think in the end they're worth the effort. *not that anyone is reading these posts*

No comments:

Post a Comment