Thursday, December 22, 2011

Memories of Maple Cream Candy...

and the recipe...

I can remember every Christmas my Aunt Betty Jean would order a box of homemade Maple Cream Candy from a lady she knew. It was so creamy, so sweet, so rich.. and my favorite. I only got one or 2 pieces each year but I remember the taste, smell... even the box it came in.. Perfect.. a white box that "stockings" were put in and sold at Belk Department Store. Kiser Roth Hosiery was a big plant around here at the time. I remember Betty Jean opening the box, slowly pulling the tissue paper aside and there they would be.. Maple Creams. standing proudly all in a row. I'm not sure when the candies stopped coming to my Aunt.. I'm not sure if she stopped ordering them or if the lady stopped making them. Most likely I just grew up and didn't go around as much once my cousin, Debbie married.. you do tend to grow apart as you get older.. lives change, people change, times change.
I married in 1975, had my son Rik in 1979 and never gave those Maple Cream Candies a thought until I was working at Staley Hosiery Mill.. a friend who also worked there, brought in Maple Creams ... all the tastes, smells and memories came flooding back. I was thrilled when she shared the recipe with me. I have continued to make these candies as well as others for the past 31 years... and hope to continue for a few more years. It's a family tradition to get together and make candy once a year in December. I make much more than the one occasion and since my kids have married it's almost impossible to get them all together to make it at the same time.. So, Candy Marathon Day(s) began a few years ago.. I think this year I've had 5 or 6 Marathon Days.. some alone, some with family and friends ... it's wonderful.. fun & tiring.. but wonderful!!
I hope you make your own special memories with your family... document it if you do.. one day they will appreciate looking back at all the fun you've had.

MAPLE CREAM CANDY

1 box confectioners sugar
1 stick butter room temp.
Maple flavoring (1 - 2 tbls ... to your taste)

16 oz semi sweet chocolate chips
1/4 - 1/2 block parafin wax


Cream together butter and flavoring, add sugar and mix well.
Mixture should resemble play dough. If it doesn't, add 1 tsp water at a time, mixing well after each addition until the mixture does resemble play dough.
Pinch off enough dough to make a quartes sized patty.
Place on a wax paper lined cookie sheet. Chill

Melt chocolate chips and wax in double boiler.
Dip candy into chocolate to cover completely. Top with pecan if desired. Chill until chocolate is set.

These are best if you make them a couple of days ahead so flavor will blend.

I make several batches of these candies and freeze them before dipping in chocolate. Can be quickly dipped and served when needed. These also freeze wellafter dipped... and ship well...




1 comment:

  1. Oh Cyndi, thank you for this post and the picture of the candy! It answers my question I posted on The Porch! Making these tomorrow. Your candy marathons sound amazing!

    ReplyDelete