Thursday, January 5, 2012

Is it soup yet...


Yes! Indeed it is! I love soup.. almost any kind.. however, I only make vegetable and potato soups ... I did attempt chicken noodle in the crock pot... ONCE... never again.. the pigs loved it. me.. not so much!
When my daughter, Courtney, was on a mission trip to Gaitlinburg TN several years ago she worked as a hostess at The Burning Bush *no longer there... sad*.. then at the Applewood Farmhouse Restaurant...

can we all just stop and sigh here? Fried apple pies, ice cream? Need I say more? .. oh.. right.. soup.. yes, soup..
Anyway, Rick, Spencer and I visited Courtney one weekend and went to the restaurant for lunch.. oh my gosh.. the food was wonderful.. the atmosphere awesome.. I mean, where else can you sit in a porch swing at a table and have lunch?
The appeitizer was vegetable soup... everyone gets a small bowl.. it was heaven. I can remember the soup but nothing else of what I had for lunch... not one bite.. ha! I came home, did some reasearch and discovered the place was owned by Stokley's.. yes, the one and same known for their vegetables sold in most stores.. so, I emailed the company.. imagine my suprise when I got a reply.. I asked for the soup recipe and was told they will give out almost all recipes.. with the exception of their soup recipe.. HOWEVER, if I used a can of each kind of their vegetables with the juice, added an onion and some beef broth I would probably come up with the exact same taste.. guess what.. I did.. and I do.. each time I make the soup it takes me right back to the mountains of Tennessee and the summer my babygirl was there..

Crockpot Vegetable Soup

1 can corn
1 can green beans
1 can mixed vegetables
1 can lima beans
1 can butter beans
1 can diced tomatoes *I puree mine.. don't like the tomatoes*
1 large onion, chopped
2 or 3 potatoes, diced
1 box swanson beef broth
16 oz tomato juice.. more to taste if you like
salt and pepper to taste, although I personally don't use salt

I put all the ingredients in my large 6 qt crock pot, cook on high all day ..
it's really good the day it's made... but the next day.. even better! Serve with crackers and grilled cheese sandwich! YUM!

1 comment:

  1. What size cans of vegetables did you use if you don't mind me asking??? Thanks in advance!

    ReplyDelete